That’s what I did, yes.
I suggest HxD. There’s also ImHex but that’s usually overkill.
Just open whatever file you want, and its contents will be displayed in rows of 16 bytes: on one side, you will have the hexadecimal value of each byte, ranging from 0 (00) through 255 (FF). On the other side, you will have a text interpretation of those bytes. Common filetypes usually have headers which have a distinct and readable part (e.g. zip files start with “PK”, NSFe files start with NSFE, and so on).
I asked for a sample valid files so I could compare headers. One quick look and you will see they are not the same: you will also find hints about what they are there. Sometimes you can just google e.g. “pk header” and it will help you find out. You can look through this list for some common formats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_signatures
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Interchange_File_Format
No comments:
Post a Comment